PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME: 55 mins
- 3 tsp McCormick Organic Ground Cumin
- 3 tsp McCormick Organic Mixed Herbs
- 3 tsp McCormick Organic paprika ground
- 1 tsp McCormick Organic cinnamon ground
- ½ tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Juice of ½ lemon
[CHICKEN & RICE]
- 1 kg of chicken pieces
- 2 tbsp (40 mL) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups (280g) long-grain rice
- ¾ - 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp McCormick Organic Ground Turmeric
- ¼ cup dried currants
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups (375mL) chicken stock, or water
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) water
- Parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, sliced into wedges
- Preheat oven to 180˚C (160˚C fan-forced). Combine spice rub ingredients in a medium bowl and rub all over chicken pieces. Add lemon juice and toss chicken to coat. Set aside to marinate for an hour time permitting or up to 24 hours.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large, heavy-based pan with a lid over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, skin side down and cook for 3-5 minutes turning, or until a light golden brown. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil, garlic and onion to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes until softened. Add rice and cook stirring for 1 minute or until the grains become translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients. Place the chicken pieces on top and gently press into liquid leaving the skin above the surface. Bring to a simmer, cover with the lid (or foil) and transfer to oven. Bake for 35 minutes, then remove the lid and bake for a further 10- 15 minute or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and rest for 5 minutes before removing chicken to a side plate. Toss rice with a fork, to loosen and return chicken to the pan, garnish with parsley and lemon.