SERVES: 6 SMALL BOWLS
PREP TIME: 30 mins
- 2 x 250g punnets strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
- 1 packet strawberry jelly
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon rose water • 300ml cream • 100ml lemon curd
- 1 plain or lemon cake
- 150ml custard
- 4 tablespoons liquor of choice, we used Frangelico
- Dried rose petals (optional)
- Roughly chop one punnet of strawberries, sprinkle over the jelly crystals and make jelly as per packet instructions. Add the rose water to the jelly mix and add one tablespoon of lemon juice. Pour the jelly into the glass bowls and place in the fridge to set.
- While the jelly is setting, gently whip the cream with a whisk until soft peaks form, add in lemon zest, remaining juice and lemon curd, then set aside to chill in the fridge.
- Once the jelly has set, cut the other punnet of strawberries into halves and place over the jellies, leaving a few for the top as garnish.
- Cut the cake into pieces and place on jelly, then drizzle over some of the liquor, pour over some custard, and sprinkle in some of the chopped pistachios. Top with a dollop of the whipped lemon cream. Chill until ready to serve.
- Just before serving top the trifles with strawberries, pistachios and dried rose petals (if using).
NOTE: This recipe is easily adapted to make a big trifle, just use a large straight-sided glass bowl.