PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME: 1 hour
[TURMERIC POLENTA CAKE]
- 200g unsalted butter should be at room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups (200g) almond meal
- 1 cup (200g) instant polenta
- 1 tbsp McCormick ORGANIC Turmeric Ground
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup (20 g) flaked almonds
- 1 bunch rhubarb, stalks cut into 5cm lengths, washed
- 250g of strawberries, washed, hulled. Cut in half if extra-large
- ½ cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1 tsp McCormick ORGANIC Cinnamon Ground
- ½ cup full-fat natural yoghurt
- ½ cup thickened cream
- A sprinkle of icing sugar to serve
- Preheat oven to 180˚C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly grease and line the base and sides of a 23 X 12 x 7cm loaf pan with baking paper.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on high until pale. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, then fold in vanilla. Combine almond meal, polenta, turmeric and baking powder together in a bowl, then fold into butter mixture. Add lemon zest and juice, stir to combine well.
- Spoon the batter into prepared pan and use the back of a spoon to smooth the top. Sprinkle almonds over the surface and bake for 1 hour or until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 1 hour to cool, then lift cake onto a cooling rack, and allow to cool completely.
- For baked fruit: Toss rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl to coat. Spoon the fruit mixture evenly over the base of a baking paper-lined baking tray, cover lightly with a sheet of foil, bake in the oven at 160˚C until the rhubarb is tender – about 10 -15 mins. Allow to cool.
- Place the yoghurt and cream in a bowl and beat to stiff peaks. Serve the cake with baked fruit, yoghurt cream and a sprinkle of icing sugar.